Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's a Race! I'm Winning, I'm Winning!

THREE WEEKS back I saw a Facebook post by Exclusive Books on winning a Summer Sale One Minute Dash. Of course I entered. And I WON! I couldn't contain my excitement.

BASICALLY THEY gave me a minute to get as many books as I could from their Summer Sale tables, six tables altogether. Visions of me preparing like Rocky that night flooded my mind. The advice my dad gave me, "Make like an octopus and grab as many books as you can", ran through my head as I made my game plan. Some girls came with me from the office and actually got to help me by holding open the plastic bags (which EB gave to us for FREE... um, okay). As I scanned the tables, seeing what books I wanted to grab first, thoughts of Reggies Rush ran through me. Do you remember Reggies Rush? If you don't, what kind of childhood did you have?!? I always thought what toys I would get and if I would get anything for my brother, depending how many times he had beaten me up that week.

My Haul
 WHEN THE time started, apparently I was really calm, strategically going from table to table, getting the books I wanted. When I look back, after going through the books I got, I really should have got more than one copy of some of them. That would have made great presents, and not cuz they were free. But mostly... It was an experience to remember! Knowing the books are yours and not having to pay for them, it's fun and incredible. When the time was done, and the books being counted by the staff (who were amazing and so helpful), I couldn't believe what had just happened. All in all, I got 67 books. I did truly feel like I was stealing from them!


I KEPT 27 of the books. My two standout favourites had to be The Cocktail and Dita von Teese's Burlesque/Fetish book. Some went to my office mates, and all the kids books went to a school. I really wanted to get kids' books if I had the time; let's not be so selfish shall we? I truly love the books I kept... now if only I could take a month off work to read them all. That would be the cherry on top!

The incredible artwork in The Cocktail.

Illustrations by Kat Macleod.


0 comments:

Post a Comment