Friday, August 28, 2009

Debt Driven Lives

We have all had that moment where we wanted something so bad, we didn't care how much it was. We had to have it. Mine was a trip to California and a big debt to go with it. I was horrendous with saving which resulted in me borrowing money for basically the entire trip. But I knew every penny borrowed would be worth it.
I was not let down and that one (yes it was just one week. technically eight days) week spent in California with two of my closest mates and some Germans was one of the best weeks of my life! Hands down one of the best! Those memories have never left me and I never, not even for a nanosecond, regretted taking that trip.
Upon returning home and returning to work, I took on the massive hill that was my debt. The hike was long, but once I got my good sneakers on and got moving it seemed to get easier and easier. That first milestone felt good but was overlooked by the fact that I had so much further to go.
As the months wore on, the debt got smaller and smaller.
Until yesterday.
This morning I proudly walked up to my parents and handed them my final installment of debt. I even started crying at how far I had come and how I had paid it ALL back. It had taken me a long year but the memories of that trip are still fresh in my mind. It feels so great to have accomplished it and to know that the money is now wholly mine.
But my tendency to over shop needs to be controlled now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment